Friday, March 26, 2010

William Sutcliffe's Are you Experienced? vs Sebastian Shakespeare - Is that due to the passage of time?

I found an article on http://blog.rohandsa.com/2010/03/good-news-bad-news.html which reminded me of a novel I read a few years back. William Sutcliffe's Are you Experienced? is a satiric take on India's poverty, the people, the culture and the typical western views on India. Get to read it, if you can.

The book is crass though humorous. I wondered how such a crass take on our culture could happen. In much of a cliched  way, I expected the protagonist to change his views on India towards the end. But as I read on and on, I found that the protagonist goes back to London and finds the London air refreshing. I found that the book was enjoyable, it had very good humor but there was no storyline, as we might expect in Indian Commercial Masala films.


The twists and turns were never to be but it led me to read till the end. I don't know if there have been so much developments in the Indian economy, culture and education over the past decade or so (the book was written in 1990s I guess), but then I found this article on the above mentioned blog. Read this news article, where an English man Sebastian Shakespeare has chronicled his memoirs of his experiences in Tamil Nadu.

This article reflects a significant change in the Indian economy. Let me tell you the story in Are you Experienced?. A young student who is about to go college wants to tour a country of the third world. This seems to be a custom in Britain to include the experiences in their resume to gain an advantage that they have suffered the hardships needed to learn about life.

That is why they choose a country such as India. But now, We can be proud of India and be more friendlier towards foreigners who visit India at least for the benefit of the Tourism Industry or reflect our distinct culture of warmth, friendliness and love.

India has never invaded any country throughout her history and we can nurture global relations and propagate peace. We can be the best ambassadors of peace! Time for us to put aside the differences in culture and ethnicity. We are together called as Indians!



website hit counter
Provided by website-hit-counters.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, this is a place to disagree with me! I know I am not perfect and not perfect more as a writer! I love to read those who disagree! Your voices are constantly heard by me! What you say will be listened to! I will personally and surely answer all your questions and responses!