Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'd like to teach filmmaking

I've been requested by very freshers to teach them about film making as though I made a number of films that are being sent to film festivals all around. I'm also a fresher by industry standards but I think when you take film making as an art, you're hardly a fresher. Besides that, I may not be able to tell this in the industry to offend a number of technicians whose experience is my age.

Modestly and Honestly, I've learned a lot about films in a very short period of time. I mean some 10 years. That is, I learned from, "How does the camera move so quickly from one person to the other? Are there too many cameras? Cinematographer is sitting at which camera? And in an OSS Shot, are there two cameras?"

And the screenplay aspect of it, by mere watching. But any art practitioner could do so without much experience but for the practical, managerial aspect of it that requires some interpersonal, managerial and problem solving skills.

But a fresher director can work with the technicians and actors that he's best comfortable with, in the beginning, if the producer is to avert the immediate need of a box office hit, that he presumably thinks comes only from a MASS HERO and not from a good story and screenplay.

And I've been wanting to express myself and teach about film making. Because not all my ideas get executed due to limited scope. So would like to share it. Besides we don't have proper education or institution. I don't have the authority to teach and mislead but can express and I'm gonna do it.

Ok first lesson:
Que: What's a film?
Ans: A film is an art form just as any other art that exists like painting, writing, performing arts. But a film maybe inclusive of all or most aspects of the other art forms. Here, you can do anything and everything. But what one has to take care of is the quality. Any art sells by its quality. And so do films. Be it realism, fantasy or fiction. Anything maybe considered creativity and so can anything be done.

DINESH BABU M

2 comments:

  1. Would you like to answer, where are you now?
    I mean are you doing a movie now?

    Thanks,
    --Observer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in Chennai and I had been working as an assistant director! I have been into films for more than three years besides making my short films! Now I have been into full time writing for all creative as well as business purposes!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, this is a place to disagree with me! I know I am not perfect and not perfect more as a writer! I love to read those who disagree! Your voices are constantly heard by me! What you say will be listened to! I will personally and surely answer all your questions and responses!