Sunday, January 17, 2010

Aayirathil Oruvan - Selvaraghavan The Filmmaker

A film enthusiast as me would any day be compelled to boast of a film like Aayirathil Oruvan. Nevertheless, I would look into the film in the perspective of a reviewer (though not as critic) as well as the one who enjoyed the film whistling on special scenes. It is common practice that I clap for scenes which others do not, understanding the greatness of a scene through subtle clues that directors employ!

But others do not and whoever comes to movies with me gets embarrassed though I do not, clapping untimely. I read a few of the reviews before writing one myself. I could see that those who reviewed did so taking four points here and there from other websites and fused them to review an original film with original screenplay.

I hated the irony of plagiarizers reviewing original work. Perhaps they were content writers working for websites and had to make quick bucks reaching deadlines. Or perhaps they were not able to review at all. Worse, they didn't watch the film.

Coming to the film, I would say that the film is a tribute to the Indian Film Industry and many film buffs could be offended, if the film is not taken to the film festivals the least. Selvaraghavan has surpassed years of craving and made the impossible, possible.

I could see how the content writing reviewers took a high ground and stared on the film through a narrow hole. Plagiarizers taking high ground was seriously offensive to me. They were not to judge an original work which involved years of hard work. Those blatant attempts at finding faults on the film are not as successful as the movie is.

Let me tell you reviewers(or content writers - I would request you to not demean the profession as I am also part of you), reviewing a work is not about taking the high ground but about looking at the work with a honest pair of eyes. Selvaraghavan has done something remarkable which I do not mean to say that we should turn a blind eye to all possible flaws that might occur while writing a film or while making or the liberties that are self-allowed to point them out.

I may also agree that your reviews were honest and I was offended by the usage of other work to review an original piece of work. A writer is one who is able to think independently on anything and I laud selvaraghavan on the same. In my last post, I spoke about originality of work and seemed to discriminatingly favor a writer for the originality he possessed.

But now, I would not hesitate to call a filmmaker right for the honest attempt he has made in stretching the benchmark on the quality of films that are to be made in the future. He has surpassed years of collective aspirations. He has also sent a strong message across that so much can be done with hard work, perseverance, passion and talent than mere experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, this is a place to disagree with me! I know I am not perfect and not perfect more as a writer! I love to read those who disagree! Your voices are constantly heard by me! What you say will be listened to! I will personally and surely answer all your questions and responses!